young woman college

Many of our clients and their children and grandchildren are gearing up for back-to-school.  My wife is an elementary school teacher and my daughter will be a second grader, so there’s a lot of excitement and back-to-school shopping going on in many households.

One of the biggest motivators for parents to talk to us about estate planning is making sure that their minor children would be taken care of in the event of an emergency.  This is a good time of year to consider the fact that college-age children (18-25 years old) are legally adults – even if they don’t necessarily act like adults.

With this in mind, we offer our clients with college-age children a complimentary service that can help them have peace-of-mind to know that they could help their young adult children in the event of an emergency.  We focus on providing two important documents:  (1) a HIPAA authorization and (2) an Advance Health Care Directive.

The HIPAA (health insurance portability and accountability act) authorization is a document designed to provide authorization for a patient’s loved ones to access their otherwise private medical records and other health information.  Without that authorization, a very cautious hospital might refuse to provide private medical updates on the condition of the adult child of a parent.

An advance health care directive allows an individual (such as a young adult) to designate a loved one (such as a parent) to make medical decisions for them in the event they are incapacitated or otherwise unable to make the decision for themselves.

We see our role as not just taking care of our clients, but also taking care of their families.  This is one small way that we try to do that.  If you are a client who would like us to create these documents for your young adult children, please let us know and we’d be happy to prepare them at no charge.

Our talented legal assistant Eva Drexler has been with Kaiser Law Group for two years and is the best person at our firm to contact for help in creating these documents for your college-age children.  Eva, who is a senior at Long Beach State, can be reached at or 562-343-2843.

~Curtis Kaiser